Last Updated on January 14, 2023 by Tabraiz
Are you planning to fly for a few well-deserved days of rest? Going on vacation without your favorite jewelry is out of the question. But how do you avoid damaging or losing your precious treasures during your stay?
Here are some useful tips from Albeli (banarasi saree shop in Varanasi) for storing and transporting your jewelry safely.
We would like to take all our jewelry with us when we set sail for distant lands. However, we often take a lot more clothes and jewelry than necessary to end up always wearing the same ones during our holidays.
It is, therefore, preferable to sort and choose, with care, the pieces that will accompany us during our travels:
- Avoid taking your most valuable jewelry with you. It is better to keep them safe at home than to take the risk of losing them while traveling. Save them for special occasions instead.
- Bring the bare necessities. Choose jewelry that you wear every day and that can accompany you everywhere. If we are usually tempted to take more fancy pieces on a trip, we generally end up leaving them at the bottom of the suitcase. No need to burden yourself with jewelry that you will not wear.
- Choose jewelry that will not affect you if lost. So leave the sentimental pieces at home: you will have plenty of time to wear them once you get back home.
- Bet on pieces that go easily with all your outfits. This will limit your choice.
- Keep in mind that you can always buy new jewelry on vacation. So there’s no need to take your entire jewelry box with you.
It is not uncommon for some jewelry to become tangled, or even damaged, during transport. To avoid unpleasant surprises on arrival, you must take special care in storing the parts you take with you.
- Bring a pouch or a small travel box to keep your jewelry safe.
- Keep your necklaces in individual pouches so they don’t get tangled. You can also use a plastic straw to avoid knots: just pass the string inside the tube and you’re done.
- Organize your earrings in pairs so you don’t end up with orphan earrings.
- Store your jewelry in separate compartments to avoid friction between materials or between stones.
If you plan to fly soon, then it’s a safe bet that you will go through customs.
Here are a few things to prepare before your trip to avoid disappointment.
- For high-value precious jewelry, consider keeping a copy of the invoice with you (in paper or electronic) to avoid complications at customs.
- If you are traveling by plane, we advise you to keep your jewelery with you in your hand luggage. Avoid leaving them in your checked baggage: you can never be too careful.
- Reserve a place in your luggage (or a pocket) exclusively dedicated to your jewellery. They will be protected from shocks and many will be easy to find when the time comes.
- Remember to bring zipped plastic bags for the passage through security at the airport. This way, you won’t have to do any manipulations in the queue that could cause you to lose some coins.
It is possible to divert certain objects from their primary use to make creative storage accessories for your jewelry.
Here are 3 tips to allow you to transport your favorite pieces safe from shocks and possible disappearances:
- Fasten your earrings on buttons. They will thus be arranged in pairs and easily identifiable.
- Turn a used pillbox into a storage box for your rings. For even more protection, you can line the inside of the compartments with fabric.
- Use an old hard glasses case to store a small selection of parts. They will thus be protected from shocks and you can use the microfiber cloth to clean your after swimming or going to the beach.