Last Updated on January 7, 2023 by Tabraiz
A thesis statement is a sentence written briefly to showcase the main idea of a research paper or an essay. It is usually written towards the terminal part of the introduction paragraph. Thesis statement slightly differ according to the type of the paper being written or the type of essay. It is very critical that the thesis statement should be written in a clear language. The reader should get the complete idea about the topic being covered in the particular essay. Everything introduced in the content of the paper should relate to the main idea expressed in the thesis statement.
Needs of a Thesis Statement
- Contentious: it should not just be a simple statement consisting of facts which is known to everyone. But it should also be a claim which leaves a gap for investigating the topic and analysing the results.
- Concise: it is always better to have a short thesis statement. No unnecessary use of words should be done. Crystal clear language, to the point statement is encouraged.
- Coherent: it should relate with all the facts, evidenced from reliable sources. It should also be explained in the remaining part of the paper.
Steps for Writing a Good Thesis Statement
- It is always better to have some background or initial statements ready which is known as working thesis. It is developed in the early phase of the writing procedure. It is important to decide on the statement in the early phase. So that the rest of the paper can be written accordingly as both needs to be related.
- After deciding on the topic of the essay, outline some working thesis. Then, some preliminary research might lead to the development of tentative questions. These questions are usually quite simple. But hold immense importance as it guides the rest of the paper, as well as the writing procedure.
- The most important aspect to be considered for answering the questions are “why” and “how”. Why a certain explanation is an answer of a particular question? And how does it convince the relation with the thesis statement?
- After deciding on a particular statement, refining the chosen statement is very important.
Questions that should be answered in the thesis-
- Description of your position
- Learning aspects from the essay
- Main aspects of the argument or narration
Our Assignment Help Rockhampton experts aim to help you with proper thesis statement formation, so that it can help you achieve the best grades.
Another thing, which is important to be considered, is writing the thesis statement according to the type of essay being written:
- Argumentative essay: the thesis statement, in this type of essay, it should describe a strong position of the paper. The aim of this essay remains to convince the reader according to the evidences as well as the logical reasoning.
- Expository essay: in this type of essay, the thesis statement should not necessary be a strong point or opinion but should serve the purpose of expressing the central idea of the paper.
Criteria for a Good Thesis Statement
- Thesis statements are very important in any type of essay or research paper.
- The writers are required to pay attention to this informative one or two sentences as sometimes it also carries marks in the assignment.
- The thesis is required to support some major factors which include content, audience and purpose.
- The thesis must answer what, who and why. If the answer of these is present in the thesis statement, then it is considered to be an impactful and informative thesis statement.
- A good thesis statement should be clear and distinct in the whole essay so that it can be marked out easily by the readers.
- The relation amongst the thesis statement and the facts should be visible enough for the readers to relate with main purpose of the thesis statement.
Our best experts work very hard to provide you with a thesis statement which will cover all the criteria of a good thesis statement.